Another lesser-known bridge of Kansas is found in Butler County.
In Plum Grove Township, about 3 ½ miles north of Potwin, there is a peculiar little stone arch bridge over the Whitewater River on NW 155th Street. Located about ½ mile west of the 115th–Buffalo Road intersection, this little bridge features a remarkably small arch. It is vaguely reminiscent of a low-water bridge — though with a stone arch opening.
The bridge has a long approach, with the arch located towards the western end, and a concrete top. Though somewhat battered, it still appears to be in reasonable condition. The masonry is somewhat crude, but the bridge is nevertheless an intriguing example of stone arch construction.
The contract for this bridge was awarded by Plum Grove township in 1907. It was not a county job. Like many of those early township stone bridges in Butler County, the bridge features a small span. Also common to township jobs, the bridge was not erected by a well-known bridge builder like Walter Sharp or Abe Matheney. This little bridge was, according to the September 20, 1907, edition of The Potwin Argus, built by J. H. Higdon and S. R Poe. It is interesting to note that, shortly after winning the contract, Higdon and Poe went to El Dorado to buy the necessary tools to build the bridge. Presumably this was their first bridge. At this time many little stone arch culverts were being built in Butler. So many, in fact, that many individuals were trying their hand at building these profitable bridges.
Additional resource: Index of the Stone Arch Bridges of Butler County, Kansas